Friday, September 17

Modern Boys Tv

It's recovery Friday here as I get through my comics and magazines taking my tablets ready for another week

There is of course another form of entertainment in my life which is Television and that is what I will be talking about this week.

Like most of us it entered into my life in the living room certainly with recollections from being a bit over five years of age on a 19 inch 4:3 aspect ratio black and white screen mainly in 405 lines as the BBC 2 channel in 625 lines was a bit weak and amongst the early shows I liked were Hector's House, Camberwick Green and Trumpton.

I also started to watch a show I still watch then Blue Peter of which there's a fair bit around the blogs but suffice to say the magazine format got me hooked at an early age.

As time moved on I did watch programs around the natural world and science such as Tomorrow's World and many of Jacques Cousteau's marine life explorations and really from around about the age of twelve the sorts of shows I watched became fixed.

Television went colour although it wasn't until the mid 1970's we had a colour set.

Like many people as vulgar as whopping great big satellite looked slapped on properties looked I had Sky Television from the early 1990's  more for additional programming such as Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, Discovery and Eurosport and for a period Sky Sports.

For me television pretty much has to be in short trousers because much programming aimed at older teens and adults just flies over my head being hard to follow and understand what is going on in popular soaps so it's no surprise just like I was back at ten to twelve years of age I watch children's tv and a mixture of sport and documentaries.

For several years we've had BT Tv, a mixture of BT's two sports channels a mix of mainly children's channels and discovery in standard definition via the internet through a YouView box that allowed HD FreeView but recent changes in the package upping the price brought a rethink.


Generally I find the two BBC children's channels mainly CBBC and sometimes CBeebies and Itv Kids offer most of the shows I like especially as the BBC do show a few more imported shows that in the past you needed Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network for and the only show that I do care for that's not on those three, Paw Patrol can be seen on YouTube via a computer or streaming device.

I do find Eurosport handy for things such as cycling which is relaxing to watch, tennis, minor motor sports and winter sports such as skiing which I loved in the days of Ski Sunday on BBC 2 and that lead to look at ways of getting that.


Discovery+ had combined Eurosports tv platforms with it's own which feature channels like Animal Planet and it's Science based channels plus Quest and Really on a streaming platform which could be had for £5 per month if you took the annual payment option.

That unlike Eurosports original streaming option uses HTML5 through the browser to render the pictures unlike the original MS Silverlight that was so susceptible to letting computer viruses in even Microsoft discontinued it (and didn't allow Edge, their newer browser to work with it).

That means I can watch via a Wifi Computer anywhere in the house that   of BBC and ITV content online stretched out across the carpet in my grey shorts just as I did when we had to use a Tv watching similar programming for pocket money prices.

No comments:

Post a Comment