Friday, January 20

The 2023 tape sort

One thing I usually do every so often is to look through my recording media and consider if I need any new ones or if those I may have which bearing in mind only a small amount of new cassettes are made and as far as I'm aware no new blank MiniDiscs are being made at all some may be in less than great shape if heavily used.

I had a small amount of very basic "normal" Maxell tapes that are fine for things like voice recording but not really best suited to good quality music being a little restricted in high frequencies  and not able to take highish levels to help keep hiss at bay.


 I picked up a number of still sealed by sadly no longer made very high quality type II cassettes that perform exceptionally well in that oddball tape length, the C46.

C46 was really for the "average" lp length album where you didn't wish to wind on to find the side of a C90 you put an album and usually had thicker tape, less likely to wearout and were less popular whereas the C90 was the length of choice for those who made their own compilation mixtapes and usually are harder to get new.

They had a nominal 23 minutes per side but often went to more like 24 which is useful.

They work well for my purposes and I picked up while I was at it a couple of the 90 minute versions  and a pre-owned but lightly played metal oxide tape which are "The Best" but being out of production for over 25 years tend to be extremely expensive as new sealed items often bough more by collectors of tapes than those of us who use them for what their intended purpose was, making recordings.

No comments:

Post a Comment