Friday, March 24

Denis and thoughts on The Sixth

Sort of continuing from where we left of this week having taken a stack of mail off our postman when I wrote this including this fortnights Match Of The Day Magazine and will be working my way through the weeks Beano and Phoenix takes us to one anniversary of two this week.

Yes it is his 72nd birthday although really is always ten, sounds a rather familar concept, what, from when he first made his first appearence in The Beano in the early nineteen fifties, when Dad was still young (!) and many a boy's favourite character.

He was and is so us although over the years he's changed, his strip is no long "the menace" but still in trouble as we were.


Wednesday was rather pleasant so I was out exploring armed with my camera and you really don't relish viewing images from the display on the rear with bright light around you, trust me.

Thoughts turned a bit to The Sixth as as in many schools mine had the transition from the Uniform in the Fifth to a dress code in the Lower and Upper Sixth that excluded a Blazer so around the school you'd of scarely felt we "belonged" there with no ties, nothing logo'd and that strangely enough back then did unsettle me because as far as most things went we were still children, albeit older children, more explained to rather than just ordered and expected to set an example to the younger ones.

For me personally there was this dysphoria between the extent I was seen by birth date as that person and in reality the still somewhat juvenile not quite caught up by the Second he was not in Juniors still me.

Sometimes I do question why it was we didn't have a uniform although a number of business did and if it just was an idea that was popular in academia the notion of no uniforms, less deference to structures and so on rather than anything really sensible.

Personally I'd of like a uniform that did have a blazer, a tie so long as clip on ones were accepted and at least the option of six inch inside leg short trousers and turn over top knee socks in winter simply as it would of looked as if I belonged and reminded us we were still part of school as older children even if we had privileges tied to responsibilities we'd be expected to live up to.

Certainly I enjoyed my time in the Sixth not just in the lessons, the lively General Studies debates but the many clubs and activities we run eithier just for us such as a cinema club or sports and electronics clubs for all the year groups as we learned to do more for ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment