Friday, May 17

Parties and intriguing thoughts

It's been an odd week with a few familar faces on the forum emerge and for that matter a few issues popping up but as we make our way towards the old Whit Holiday and the end of Summer Term my thoughts are going backwards to the time I had a 126 "Instamatic" camera that tended to come out for parties and the hols.

Things were sort of straightforward for things like "Me on the Beach " or The Pier at Blackpool as there was enough sunlight usually but indoors?


Unlike later 35mm compact cameras you had this silly flash cub that you had to move around every.single. time. you wanted to take a picture indoors and after the fourth, then you had to change it!

The faff from doing that at parties in the early 70's remains lodged in me but there are other things that come into mind.

My family are very much products of the West Midlands not least the Marches just by the border with Wales, Wrexham and the North Wales coast are more familiar to me than the cities of Manchester, Liverpool and York in the North.

Like a good few others go back to the Middle Ages and the family line takes you to Normandy, France not that I'd start claiming to be French, with a strong Staffordshire accent and a tendency to to think in our own dialect first and then translate to Standard English it would hardly be convincing.

No, what I can remember thinking about around 1972-74 was more what if I could wear a Kilt as back then if you raided anything from the girls dress up box you'd get teased a lot so you often thought "what does it feel like" if you had *anything* like a skirt on not that you'd ever ask a girl that. Too rude!

Not being Scottish there wasn't just one you could borrow from a relative or the prospect of there being a wedding that might give you an excuse to dress up in a kilt.

Think I just might give that a go as much as I like my grey period length school shorts and turn over top socks as I think a kilt belongs just as much on me.


No comments:

Post a Comment