Friday, May 31

Rock 'N' Roll Music

Not generally something we'd post on here but it does have a few things beyond just a object post.

The first thing was as a twelve year old I saw retail starting to change from lots of little stores to bigger stores and just a couple of miles away a Hypermarket, a massive sell everything store popularized in France.

While there I saw a new rather shiny double lp during a period where following the charts and following more the Bay City Rollers and Abba I saw the number of reissued Beatles singles and heard them on the radio as they'd charted.

That was one of the first albums I had as in the main I bought singles and albums tended to be things people brought me.


It was an unusual album in that it wasn't just a compilation of hits, something I was to get the next year, but of more rocking tracks from their albums.


The cover remains controversial for having a rather tacky 50's American Diner theme which was quite removed from what the group were about and what actually existed in the UK at the time.

An offer by John Lennon to submit better artwork was rejected and the three other former beatles objected to it too.

What was good about is it was the first time in this country the four tracks of the Long Tall Sally EP were available in stereo together with I'm Down from the b side of the Help single and Bad Boy previously issued on a 1966 compilation but originally on the Capitol album Beatles VI in a single package.

Amazingly that record still exists in the collection some fourty eight years on although I was able to replaced the jacket that had got a little worn over the years recently from much handling and feline curiosity.

I had a great time sat just like that twelve year old with his comic listening to it this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment