Friday, September 28

A standard for This Boy and a shock

Looking around at the movement with my life presently I think it would a sensible idea to examine the kind of ethics going forward I should adopt to take with me on this journey.
To me the most appropriate kind of ethics for me to commit to are essentially the same as those to be within scouting and so I've adopted them



A Boys Code
A Boy is: 
Trustworthy,
Loyal,
Helpful,
Friendly,
Courteous,
Kind, 
Obedient,
Cheerful,
Thrifty,
Brave,
Clean,
and Reverent

A Boys Law
I will do my best to be
Honest and fair,
Friendly and helpful,
Considerate and caring,
Courageous and strong,
Mentally alert,
and take responsibility for what I say and do
And to
Help people at all times,
Keep myself physically strong,
Respect myself and others,
Respect authority,
Respect my Flag and Country
and Be a brother to all other boys.


I, Christopher, hereby commit myself to upholding the Boys Code and Law this day September 28 2018 from hereon in.




Visiting ones paternal home looking in the bookcase where there are a good many books that haven't moved in at least thirty odd years I spotted a few Ladybird books and inserted opening side out obscuring the spine was this!!!
It is the 1973 edition written by David Harwood and illustrated in the then contemporary uniforms by the late John Berry.
As you have read this blog before, you will know I spoke about how it was my siblings were cub scouts and one was a Scout but strangely enough no one like my parents ever considered asking if I was interested so scouting was something I never got to experience probably because of my disabilities.
Interesting after mentioning on page four it doesn't matter if a boy is handicapped* or not,cub scouting is for every boy who makes the Cub Scout Promise and understands Cub Scout Law, it has a section on page eighteen called Extension Activities.
It is a whole page devoted to disabled boys and how you can be a cub scout indicating that not being able to play every game or undertake every pack activity doesn't stop you because instead you would be expect to help the leaders run them.
Moreover they would give you special activities comparable to that what regular boys might when it comes to what you need to put into them to develop your skills and interests by your cub scout leaders. 
It even shows a physically disabled cub scout firing a arrow using a provided aid so he could do archery! This is in 1973 where you did face more restrictions but Scouting was ahead of that curve when it came to being inclusive.
It seems somewhere down the line, nobody actually read this because on the face of it it's saying clearly I would of been accepted and any necessary adjustments made!
All I can say is I read it and just felt like crying.

* Regarded by activists as unacceptable term today, I judge people more by their intent and actions than *Politically Correct* terms or sharing sense of victimhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment