Friday, September 14

Autumn Term

Recently on my Tumblr we celebrated the thousandth post and a pretty fair following it must be said which given that was the first time I'd been on anything resembling social media since Two Thousand Five and Friends Reunited which may be known to Brits of the early Two Thousands and means nothing to some of you further afield.
The blogging service it offered briefly is the spiritual home of this blog and why it is that although obviously I had a life between then and August of Twenty-Seventeen there aren't any posts from that time. 
I have a few bits I wrote as word documents around Photography in that period but it would be difficult to stitch that in the main blog and don't have much enthusiasm for trying to write the best part of twelve years of entries about that time in strict chronological order.
That's why we started last August from scratch and in time I'll talk about those interests and events from the past in addition to my current life.
As part of this, my current life as adult schoolboy, I do wear uniform and seeing it was the first month of this academic term I now own a Rawlinsons Jumper made for St. Johns  with gold and orange trim around the v neck.
I love the finish on it.
To go with it, I did pick up a pair of "Sturdy sized" grey shorts which like most shorts worn today at actual schools is longer than those you may recall from the seventies and eighties which while not being fully lined are well put together and do look right on me.

As for me at least this is a regressive experience it's quite fitting  to mention that while you do know a bit about my tastes in comics and those I read officially as a child it wasn't enough to just read them in the pre computer world I and millions of us lived in.
For us 'interaction' meant writing in to competitions, mailing it and waiting weeks for a reply back and also we joined fan clubs run by them too.
I joined the Dennis the Menace Fan Club in the British Beano comic in the Nineteen-seventies, sending off a postal order to Dundee, Scotland and this is what you got. 
We wore our badges with pride.
I might add I still have have mine and the two badges to which I did add a few others over the years.
I also joined the Warlord club with its badges and secret code around the same time where if my memory serves we right the wallet everything came in was a dark brown colour with a secret code encode and decoder.
That's the front of the wallet and the reply to your application to become a Warlord secret Agent.
Inside of it had your Identity Card with a space to put a head and shoulders picture photo booths such as those in Woolworths and many places at the time had, your yellow badge to put on your sweater when playing with other boys and that Code Book
Ciphers were something that interested me as my Junior Head had a passion for things like that sending several lessons teaching us all about them and actual had served WW2 as a spitfire pilot before going into teaching.
You also had the Bronze on Black Fireball badge with the flaming symbol and a survival booklet which did have some real information on making a shelter and first aid.

As you can see they also go how to survive an attack although they cautioned being careful practising them with your pals.

I did also talk briefly about my own battles, how I have changed since being with you all on Tumblr and ASB.org and the journey I am on. Although that is emotionally difficult I do intend to write something about and what it is you can do to help me along the way at some point in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment