Friday, November 9

Cub Scout Badges

I have written a bit across this blog about scouting, specifically cub scouts and you cannot help for sure noticing the increasing sense of nostalgia around this with such things as handbooks, annuals and patch badges being sold in various places on and offline.
Some people do actually have a thing for collecting often 'vintage' ones so it's not uncommon for collections to come on to the market.
My interest in such things isn't centred around collecting in that at an ethical level I tend to see such things as having been 'earned' - beyond material value in someways like war medals - so I'd be interested only if there was direct connection and certainly not for material gain.

I have gotten a number bought under a personal and painful criteria alone, namely having not been given the opportunity to gain them first time, they have to be things such as proficiency badges that I have evidence from either that I did do first time around in childhood or later in life that indicate that I would of earned them on the basis  of actual abilities demonstrated as any originals would of to meet the then requirements to had been awarded.
In other words for me to have them, I feel they also need to be earned  because they then represent what I would of been awarded for that effort on my own merit, a kind of compensatory awarding. 
Going from the top the Green Cap Badge and Silver Arrow, the Photography, Hobbies and Swimming stage two proficiency badges and Naturalist stage one proficiency and cub scout award.
It is also the case some have been bought from scout leaders raising funds to help children develop new skills and interests through boy scouting UK which I feel really matters in raising a generation  of caring, disciplined and capable  young adults.

1 comment:

  1. I am reminded of winning a music badge. I played the trumpet. Also, this time of year reminds me of the time I won the cub conker contest. The prize was two carry bags full of conkers. Plus, my shorts pockets were stuffed with conkers.

    ReplyDelete