Friday, March 20

Going back to an old favourite

After last weeks entry we are returning very much to the past  I recall .
This book by E Nesbit who also wrote The Railway Children held my attention which was unusual at the time 
Set in Edwardian England, four children discover a strange egg hidden in an old carpet from which hatches a talking phoenix. Further adventures are had when the carpet turns out to be magic.
The Phoenix is wise, wiser than the children but it becomes obvious he is also vain and at odds with the world as some of his acts cause concern to them and consternation to the grown ups.


It was dramatized in 1976 on  BBC Tv to popular acclaim and last year it was issued on dvd for the first time.

My Brother had the book, unusual for him to actual bother much with reading which I borrowed and I later bought a copy myself which is pictured with an illustraion from that tv version published by Puffin.
;

1 comment:

  1. I'd love to get a copy of that DVD. I have another version, but like how they did the 70s version.

    ReplyDelete