Friday, August 19

Jackson Brown collected

 Beyond the 45 rpm pop singles I grew up with in early to mid 1970's  which tended to by people such as Gary Glitter, Showaddywaddy, the Glitter Band and obviously the Bay City Rollers I did hear on radio shows a lot of Southern Californian with the exception of the Eagles, singer-songwriter based such as Linda Rondstadt usually on Asylum or Elektra records  I enjoyed.

Probably the biggest with my was Jackson Brown whose songs were covered by the Byrds, Jackson Five and the Eagles and it is telling these albums are all on record in my collection.


The first album from 1972 features Doctor My Eyes and Jamaica Say You Will which covered by the J5 and Byrds respectively.

My copy is a UK first issue which like all until 1976 was cut at Abbey Road and pressed by EMI Records.


The second album featured Take It Easy co written with Glenn Frey of the Eagles and featured on their first album and These Days.


These early releases used a white label on the disc with the Asylum Records logo in colour which was estblished in 1972 by David Geffen.




1974's Late For The Sky is regarded by many as a classic of the reflective singer-songwriter genre and actually I have two copies, my 1974 white label original and the 2017 remaster  which is marginally more open.

It features For a Dancer", "Before the Deluge", and "Fountain of Sorrow".

It was nominated for a Grammy-his first.


The Pretender from 1976 was issued at an difficult time for Jackson Browne personally, losing a girlfriend to suicide.
It features Here Come Those Tears Again and the title track which sizable hit singles.


1977 saw many things, for me musically I was starting to by more albums and these typically showed more maturity thematically and musicaly than the mainly 45's I had bought following bands as singles having only the Rollers albums and odd Greatest Hits set bought for me.

Running On Empty was an unusual album for having songs recorded in hotel rooms on the road and the odd live track and this captured for me the vitality of this performer.

This remains his biggest selling album to date with the title track being a sizable U.S. Hit and has its original booklet.

Fair sized pauses between albums were not unusual but such was the trust in him we'd buy it straight away and Hold It from 1980 was a good example of that


December 1983 saw Lawyers In Love come out with  its clutch of singles such as Tender Is The Night, For A Rocker and the title track and had that on Chomedioxide tape and lp as soon as I heard it on Paul Gambaccini's BBC US Chart show on Radio One


1986's Live In The Balence concerned itself with the Cold War, the impacts of Reaganomics and the decline in the smokestack economy.

Beyond the musicianship, one thing he has been involved in for a long time is environmentalism and the threat to our welfare from not being a responsible steward of our planet taking part in campaigns.

No comments:

Post a Comment