Friday, September 22

Picking yourself back up again

It can be hard enough growing up but when like me you have a physical disability things can happen to you in the most everyday situations such as you find yourself running short on energy because you tend to use more just getting by.
I struggled to get about, for a period using a wheelchair so I might get 'trapped' if I went to turn and couldn't pull myself out easy or I'd trip up just walking from row of desks in the classroom to another.
I wasn't as a rule exempted from games even if I may need to sit out of actually playing by having to change to my soccer or pe kit , pick a team help set everything up and be the mascot for it cheering them on.
When I did play it wasn't uncommon for me on fall over on the grass trying to tackle another player to gain ball possession or just loose my sense of balance having very poor co-ordination so I literally had to learn to pick myself from the ground, dust myself off and get on with it.
It was hard but my teachers and especially head teacher believed I needed to learn resilience to cope with the unfairness life can throw at you when you're disabled, picking yourself back up rather than wrapping me in cotton wool, becoming a softie.
I'm glad they were hard on me like this because it was what this boy needed to get by and learn to gain the respect of other boys for showing boy spirit in the face of adversity.

No comments:

Post a Comment