Friday, October 6

Boyhood spanking

Some aspects of childhood have changed in part over the years and do carry controversy both as they pertain to current attitudes and ideas around child raising and also the extent to which some feel  adults can comment upon them. These are mine.

In the period I experienced boyhood, it was accepted by everyone that whoever you were with had the right to discipline you in the absence of your parents and  in accordance with their own principals because as a boy you were in their care and your parents were not asked by anyone for their approval. If you were with a friend, if your friend was spanked for some offence and you did the same then so were you.
This was as much true of being at the home of a boy your were friends with playing as it was at church, cubs as it was in school except your school had policies that were communicated to your parents because they chose to send you to it.
As a boy therefore you knew as I did whenever you broke a rule whoever you were with was going to discipline you for it and that was that.
Like many boys spanking did feature in my childhood not least at school because unlike some of the issues around how my own parents were conflicted around disciplining me, the school system treated every boy the same for breaking the same rules.
My teachers and especially my head teacher believed very strongly in treating every boy the same including disabled boys like me exactly the same and so they spanked me either by hand or with the plimsole across my shorts sometimes in class at othertimes in the headteachers office but with my class knowing I was going to be spanked.
He understood if you treated disabled boys differently allowing them more leeway to use their disabilities as an excuse to not try to learn and follow the rules not only do you undermine group cohesion you fail to instil the self discipline you need to make the most of being a disabled child with all the struggles you face. Being soft wasn't ultimately kind dealing with the at times unfair world.
Several years back I met my former headteacher before he died and after talking about the life I had made for myself and he showed how proud he was was that I had found my place as an adult in society we talked about those time he spanked me and actually I thanked him for treating me the same as any other boy and for caring to correct some of my attitudes and silly behaviours.
My own view on reflection remains that he was right to spank me and that this did work better than the other ways my parents tried miserably at in changing them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment