Friday, January 26

Physical Therapy

Something I don't tend to talk that much about is some of the changes that happened from when I transferred to high school
From juniors we did do quite a bit in P.E such as gymnastics, using a rope swing and climbing  but very much directed physical therapy.
 That changed because at my high school we had physical therapy sessions for those of us who had disabilities tailored to our individual needs which included the used of chest expanders to help maintain and build up chest and upper arm muscles  as well as using a mounted exercise bike with adjustable resistance to develop leg muscle as I was physically quite weak.
Another thing I had was floor exercises that had to be performed and graded on a blue pvc covered mat to work on my back which is twisted and build up strength.
The people taking the sessions were quite strict and would smack me if did not do my exercises correctly.
One thing I did find from doing these exercises was I felt much better in and about myself for having some build and indeed I felt more confident about being a boy for it apart from becoming fitter within my limits so the strict approach I feel taken to me about this was justified.
It's just unfortunate that upon leaving the school system itself, measures that might of included supervised Physical Therapy were not set up to help maintain this.

No comments:

Post a Comment