Friday, May 5

Take three

It's Coronation weekend so rather than running with the obvious I thought I'd try something a bit random with a vague connection and pull out three lp records from my collection which I don't talk about much on here.

Bad Reputation is one the finest Thin Lizzy albums ever, I'd take it over Jailbreak, nay one the finest when it comes to playing in heavy rock ever that came out in 1977, the year of the Silver Jubilee, bunting, street parties and things given to us to mark this occassion as children.

I still have my jubilee mugs.

It was year that my tastes started to move towards albums rather than singles and Thin Lizzy caught my attention seeing them in a memorable Sight And Sound in Concert show on BBC2 and stereo radio and their show made a major impression on me.

This with the great riffs of the title track and the Dancing In the Moonlight single is my original UK edition.


1977 was the year some thirteen years after the event we got a live album from The Beatles which while not perfect and missing the classic Rubber Soul and Revolver period, did give those of who'd missed on what a beatles gig was all about, a feel of how it was with its excitement and wild screaming fans in recordings from two shows from the Hollywood Bowl, California.

That's my second copy, the Japanese first pressing which had a much better quality sleeve than UK editions did.


2012 was the year of second Olympics here in the UK, one which royalty played a part and the year some four years after the issuing of the remastered compact discs, the vinyl equivilents were issued most of which having British stereo copies from the 70's in prestine condition I didn't bother with.

This was one one I did because it does gather up non album singles with their b sides, stereo mixes of their Long Tall Sally EP and the two German language singles in stereo.

Although it had been issued before in October of 1988 on record several months after the cds, that edition didn't sound very good on record at all, not that that cd sound that good either!

This sounded much fuller even though you need turn the volume up a little as the second disc has longish sides and helps round out a collection of analogue tape cut editions although it was could from a digital master (which upsets analogue purists).

Given the dynamics are better on the record I'd take that over the cd which was one the better ones of the 2009 series that are currently in press.

No comments:

Post a Comment